Saturday, May 5, 2012

My dancing, wavy girl

So Alyssa graduated from UNCG yesterday with a Bachelor of Fine Arts, and it was amazing! While most people, including the Cordell family, and definitely Chelsea would be screaming at the top of our lungs and trying to embarass one another because we love one another, I just sat there tearing up because I thought about how proud I am of her. Then I look over to my crying mom who says, "I am so proud of her." That didn't help, but I didn't lose it. I had some comedic relief on the other side of me because Alyssa's 14 year old brother was bored to death and kept looking at me like, "Is this thing over yet?!?!" But most of all I just sat and enjoyed it. I began to realize what it meant when the waving girl on stage at her first dance recital meant to her parents, because my girl was "on stage" waving to me, and we both were so happy and giddy and nervous and scared and totally calm. I love being married to my best friend.

So I ran around at the end, because Alyssa's phone died, to get to where they were going to walk out and I wanted to get a wonderful picture and coordinate a meeting place. While I was waiting I was standing next to an older Chinese man whose daughter graduated and we swapped congratulations. BUT THEY WENT THE WRONG WAY! I don't know who told them to walk the opposite direction, but they are not on my good side. Thankfully she had my number memorized, otherwise we would be stuck at the coliseum still trying to find each other.


At this point I found out my grandmother, Mimi (who Alyssa and I went to see Wednesday at we went to the temple), had another stroke (#3), and that she wasn't responding. So my mom went to go see her with my dad and all of Mimi's (3) children. I know that is kind of a random entry, but it is what happened and I don't really know what else to say and not sound heartless. Alyssa and I knew when we saw her that she wasn't going to be with us much longer, so it was sad, but we know about God's plan of salvation so it's not really sad.


Then we went to her department graduation where everyone was getting an art degree and it was funny because only half of them were wearing their gowns. Alyssa and I joke about how its because they are art students. Doc (Alyssa's dad) realized the correlation between sculptors and bikers, they were big, and balding. And there was the stereotypical side note by the commencement speaker about gay and lesbian rights in a free world, to which no one in our entire row clapped (we were only a fifth of the row).



I am so excited for her to start teaching art and for her to be able to come home again and tell me about kids that do crazy things and the fun art lessons they are doing. Thank you Heavenly Father for my eternal best friend!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for both of you!!! That's super exciting!! Minus the sad note. Eternal companion best friends are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete